Getting a text file rid of all superfluous blank lines

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 5 22:20:44 UTC 2005

Welty, Richard wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>And in contrast I can't think of much of anything reusable
>>I've learned about GUI procedures. It's like starting from
>>scratch with every new program and context.
>

> you may wish to look at your approach, then. when i first
> started java programming, i didn't tend to get much reusability
> out of my GUI components. much learning and reading later, i now
> get very good reusability, but it required getting my head
> reoriented a bit to accomplish it. i think this is generally true
> of development in IDE contexts; we tend to fall into traps
> and develop in a backwards manner that kills reusability and
> modularity. usually this happens because we start throwing
> GUI widgets at the IDE screen before we've put any effort into
> thinking about how the program really ought to be structured.
>
> richard

I interpreted his statement to mean "by learning how to use
the command-line available commands for getting my work done,
I have put a collection of tools under my belt which have stood
the test of time", but that "trying to do things using GUI
oriented programs results in having to learn how to do it
all over again with the next program." IOW, using GNOME is
not the same as using KDE; using MicroSoft Word is not the
same as using Frame is not the same as using Open Office;
etc.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :-)

[I wonder what mail reader he uses? I guess mail rather than
Thunderbird, and browses the web using wget or the like. :)]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.