VOB to a playable DVD

Patrick May patrick at pmmay.sytes.net
Tue Dec 6 23:06:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:30:23PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Keep us posted. I feel that this is on-topic enough. If you disagree,
> then could you email me personally with what you find? I intend to do
> some DVD authoring in the near future. Also, please make mention of
> which burner you use. I am in the market for one now.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_hdtv.html

It's definately a learning curve. I've only done a few DVDs. The first ones I
played with doing, but never finished were some slideshow stuff. Then I was
backing up shows from my Replay to DVD. Got bored of that, well, the seasons
ended and no new material, plug a HD crash and the loss of my notes. (BACK-UP,
print off, any notes you make. Notes are really important! I make judiciuos
use of bookmarks in Firefox. If anyone would like, I can post up some of my
resources.)

Currently I'm doing my initial project. Scanning family photos to make a DVD
for family members for Xmas. I've got about 400 pics scanned in so far,
covering the 80s and 90s. Still probably have 3-4x that much to go (50s -
70s). And a search and rescue mission for two albums that are MIA. And I'm
scanning at a lowly 2.5 pics per minute via a bash script I wrote.

Talk about small use of video. I've got a DVD that's about 24 minutes long
containing 245 images, @ 5 sec per image w/ 1 sec crossfade transition. It's
taking up a whopping 356MB. I think every picture myself, and my family have
taken will fit on a regular DVD!

I'm using a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S.

Patrick