Trouble with graphics mode

Arturo Alejandro Hoffstadt Urrutia ahoffsta at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Dec 7 12:29:30 UTC 2005

El Martes 06 Diciembre 2005 19:33, Hans, David M escribió:
>    I'm having trouble getting FC4 to install or run in graphics mode. I
> have a plain jane SpaceWalker MK20N mainboard with onboard VIA Tech
> graphics. The install seems to recgonize the graphics chip and monitor
> (NEC MutiSync E1100+) correctly. I had RH9 on this combo with no problem
> ( no I didn't keep the config files). Ubuntu and Knoppix have no
> problems with graphics mode.

I had recently installed a computer which had VIA chipset on it's
motherboard... (graphic, audio), and it gave me a lot of trouble during
installation. The driver that comes with the Xfree used in anaconda during
the installation didn't support the resolution, or it failed to detect the
monitor (but the I put in doubt the last one, because it is a Samsung
syncmaster, and not a very new one).

To install FC4, you must do the normal process, but when X start, what I did,
was to change the resolution of X using Control+Alt++ (yes, the last key is
plus, or minus). This will change the resolution of your computer. This
worked for me.

During the start of grub, you have to change de kernel line, and wipe out the
"rhgb".

Then start FC normally, and the first thing you should do is to upgrade X.
This can be done with yum, apt-get, up2date, etc, etc.

PS: The chipset are VIA, but the graphic chipset is nomrally a S3 Savage,
Twister, etc. Maybe the problem was the S3 driver?????, Bugzilla will tell.

--
Arturo Alejandro Hoffstadt Urrutia
Estudiante Ingenieria Civil Informática
ahoffsta at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl
"La Magia existe, solo debes buscar mejor"