Samba routing

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 18:28:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 10:22, Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:

> One question about Samba. I have a central server set up which serves
> three different subnetworks: 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24,
> 192.168.2.0/24. The samba server is configured to listen on all 3
> interfaces and there are no problems with it.
>
> The problem is the following. All computers from the different
> subnetworks see each other by name but when you try to access the share
> the request times-out. I know that Micro$oft$ protocol is unroutable and
> I guess that that is the problem. Does anybody know how this can be
> resolved ? Maybe with tunnels between networks ?

Samba runs over tcp and has no problem with routing.  If you
don't have the names in DNS, windows clients may try to resolve
names through a broadcast protocal that won't traverse routers
but should find a multi-homed server from any of it's interfaces.
This sounds like a firewall issue to me.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com