My first GTK program

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Tue Dec 13 09:18:25 UTC 2005

Jarkko Elfving wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm starting my first GTK programming and I need some guidance.
>
> I've searching in Google little help, but I haven't found any
> full-filling guides yet to help me in this little project. Some kind of
> help I've found, but I'm sure that there is more and better helps with
> working examples.
>
> Also I'm trying to finding some useful commands to build a system wide
> program with functions like getenv() and system().
>
> What else I should to noticed before I start this kind of project?
>
> Any help is welcome.
>

> Regards,
> Jarkko Elfving

You don't mention which programming language you are trying, I'll assume
it's c  You may be interested in Python if you are coming from Java
Lots of RedHat (therefore Fedora) utilities are written in Python using
PyGTK, it has wrappers / interfaces for lots of interesting things like
GTK, GNOME etc  plus good integration with Linux through.

so for example os.getenv("HOME")  os.system("ls -al")

urls:

http://www.python.org/
http://www.pygtk.org/

Hello World with Python and GTK

http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/examples/helloworld.py

There are also dedicated Python and GTK mailing lists / news groups
where you will find lots of answers

Regards
Martin