Gnome Display Manager Trashed in FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 14 12:20:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 22:15 -0800, Keith wrote:
>   I logged in today to find my gnome interface and directories have been
> trashed in my account, but gnome and nautilus work fine in other
> accounts. Is there a first run wizard for gnome so I can use gnome again
> or another method to restore gnomes usability. I already tried the
> removal of the gnome directories and nautilus Dir and RC files, but I
> still just get a blank screen when I log into gnome.

One possible solution might be to create a new user, replace your
configuration files with theirs, changing the permissions to suit
yourself.

I've almost gone down this route, myself, tonight.  For some daft
reason, occasionally something screws up and I cannot type unless I also
hold down the shift key.  Of course that makes it impossible to do
various things.  Messing with the keyboard preferences didn't help,
removing some hotkeys from the keyboard shortcuts preferences finally
unbotched it (not that I'd changed any of them in months).  I was
moments away from trying what I just suggested, and finally got things
working again by fluke.

I read messages from the public lists.