FC4 x86_64 + new questions

Nathan Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Wed Dec 14 17:19:53 UTC 2005

François Patte wrote:
> Thanks for your answer. I tried this, but there are some "failed
> dependancies"...
>
> So, my next question is: is possible to tell yum to install specific
> i386 packages (with right dependancies of course!)?
>
> It seems also, that xmms is not working: I have only 2 output plugins:
> arts and crossfade. With the first one xmms complains that it cannot
> connect a arts server, the second one kills xmms...
  I use x86_64 both at the office and at home on my primary desktops. I
setup both to have the i386 version of all the repositories I use. Then
I can pick if I want the i386 or x86_64 of any package. In some cases
the their are only i386 versions, even when there could be x86_64
versions. It is just that the packager doesn't have a x86_64 system.

  I copy all the repo files that are enabled as file-i386.ext. So
fedora.repo becomes fedora-i386.repo. Then I edit the files and add a
-i386 to the end of the repo title in []s. This makes it unique so that
it doesn't conflict with the x86_64 version. I also replace all mentions
of $basearch with i386. One downside is that you then need to be
explicit at all times. You can't just say yum install xmms and expect it
to assume x86_64. Instead it will assume you want both and give you
x86_64 and i386. Plus both x86_64 and i386 dependencies. So you have to
use yum install xmms.i386.

  Another thing that helps is setting rpm to always return the arch
along with the name, version, and release. You can do this by creating
/etc/rpm/macros.local. In it, put %_query_all_fmt
%%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

>> Gilboa
>> P.S. Please, please, please stop PGP'ing your messages. It makes it very
>> hard to read them.
>
> I promise...!
  I don't think you should have to stop using gpg on your messages. They
are perfectly readable to me. Plus it helps prove the message came from
you. If people let others use lame excuses to get them to stop using gpg
for e-mail then we will never get anywhere with it.