Changing SSH and Apache ports

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Dec 14 22:11:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:51:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I thought that this would be easy, but I am having no luck.
>
> Could some please point me to a tutorial whereby I could learn to
> change what port I would use to ssh into my Fedora Core 4 machine? I
> once read one, but all the googleing in the world isn't turning it
> back up. I would also like to leave apache up to show off some things,
> how could I change it's port number as well?
>
> Thanks in advance. Please accept my apolozies for this STFW- I am
> "S"ing but not finding anything.

As to ssh its default port is 22 but in both the ssh_config and the
sshd_config there is a Port statement that one would guess would
change the port that ssh uses.

The httpd.config also can set the communication port to something
other than 80 but it seems to me there would be a problem getting a
browser to communicate on that changed port but I have not thought a
lot about it, so I am not sure. Although on the other hand we know one
can access a server as:httpd://myserver.mydomain:666 for example and
that would ask the server to respond to a request on port 666. So that
might work out.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University