ssh in rc.local stalls

Steve Brueckner steve at atc-nycorp.com
Thu Dec 15 18:20:06 UTC 2005

I need to create an ssh port forwarding tunnel to another machine when my
Xen VM starts up, so I added this to the VM's /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

ssh -f -L 5500:localhost:5501 remote_host_ip tail -f /dev/null

This causes my VM to pause for about 3 minutes during boot right after
"Starting HAL daemon: [  OK  ]"
Furthermore, the ssh tunnel never gets created.

I have null-passphrase authentication keys working, so I can execute the
tunnel manually after I log in.  So why won't the tunnel work before I log
in?

I don't get any errors in /var/log/messages, just a 3-minute gap between
entries.  Is there anywhere else I can look to find potential error
messages?

When I try the same trick on the bare-metal host machine, it works fine: no
3-minute stall and the ssh tunnel is created fine.  So I suppose what I need
is a way to find or create error messages so I can diagnose further.  Maybe
then I can take this to the Xen list.

Stephen Brueckner, ATC-NY