Embedded Linux pointers?

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Fri Dec 16 01:51:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 20:02 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
> Rather than hijack the CF-based Router thread I thought I'd ask
> in a separate thread. Does anyone have a good howto, tutorial or
> book for understanding building an embedded Linux setup? I have
> several boards that I want to use but I always run into trouble
> with the initrd, or pivot root or something near in the process.
>
> Any pointers?

Well there's a book titled "Building Embedded Linux Systems" by Karim
Yaghmour. I'd almost recommend it as I think it does a reasonably good
job of covering things, but it falls short (IMHO) of providing the "how-
to" necessary to get a real system going. And the author has apparently
found other fish to fry, as there are no errata nor updates to the book
(last I checked anyway).

So I'd say this book is not too bad as far as "understanding" an
embedded Linux setup, but it won't get you through "building" an
embedded Linux setup.

For actually building embedded systems, as as far as I know, you'll need
to subscribe to the mailing lists (e.g. Dan Kegel's 'crosstool'), and be
prepared to spend lots of time learning by trial and error.

Jay