How to backup root filesystem the correct way....

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Dec 16 05:31:55 UTC 2005

OK, my major issue right now is getting GRUB to work and
I am not able to get GRUB to see my /boot partition I am
assuming since it cannot find the configuration files nor
can it boot.

I have:

/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hda2 /
/dev/hda3 swap

Documentation says to install grub as follows:

1) Boot off rescue CD
2) chroot /mnt/sysimage
3) grub-install /dev/hda

But therein lies my problem I think.  Is it supposed to be:

3) grub-install /dev/hda1   OR
3) grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/hda?
3) grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda?

Do I have to somehow install the MBR on /dev/hda or
is this part of GRUB's job?

Thanks!
Dan