No eth0 with Kernel 2.6.14 -

bobgoodwin bobgoodwin at att.net
Fri Dec 16 17:21:33 UTC 2005

Warren Sturm wrote:

>Can you take a look in your /var/log/messages file and see if there is
>any error associated with eth0. Another thing to maybe try is to clear
>the bios ESCD or DMI.  This may have been what worked for me with and
>old recalcitrant system when moving from 2.6.12 to 2.6.13 first and
>later 2.6.14.  It is now running 2.6.14-1.1653.
>

>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 20:53 -0500, bobgoodwin wrote:
>

>>                I updated Kernel 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4  to
>>                2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 which seems to be an improvement.  I
>>                notice that "sensors" works for the first time since
>>                RH9  but  during boot it fails to find eth0 and as a
>>                consequence Firestarter crashes and leaves me with no
>>                firewall. Normally  eth0 is used to connect to another
>>                computer while the internet connection is via a dial up
>>                modem, the only service available in this rural area.
>>
>>                Things still work normally with the 2.6.12 Kernel I am
>>                using now.
>>
>>                Any suggestion on where to look for the ethernet problem
>>                is appreciated.
>>
>>                Bob Goodwin

I updated the Kernel via yum again this morning to 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
which made no difference.

I also looked at the BIOS set up , the only DMI option's I have seem to
relate to logging and about all I could do there was "mark as read."

During boot I see a message about eth0  FAILED streaming by and dmesg
shows:  3c59x: Unknown parameter `irq'

And modprobe reports:
modprobe -v  3c59x
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4/kernel/drivers/net/3c59x.ko irq=10
FATAL: Error inserting 3c59x
(/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4/kernel/drivers/net/3c59x.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg shows:  3c59x: Unknown parameter `irq'

System-config-network and Webmin both fail to configure eth0,  producing
error messages after going through the configuration routine.

I can still use the earlier Kernel but would like to get this
straightened out.

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin