Is Redhat/Fedora Losing Interest in KDE?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Dec 16 23:02:45 UTC 2005

Leonard Isham wrote:

>On 12/16/05, Mike McGrath <imlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>David Cary Hart wrote:
>>

>>>On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:33:58 -0500
>>>Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com> opined:

>>>Yes. Arts, Kdepim and Kdebase are still RC-2

>>>I don't want to (re)ignite the Gnome-Kde food fight but I much prefer
>>>KDE.
>>>

>>I don't want to reignite anything hostile threads either.... but you're
>>not alone:
>>
>>http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/13/1340215
>>

>It gets really interesting when you follow the links and see exactly
>what Linus said.
>
>--
>Leonard Isham, CISSP
>Ostendo non ostento.

This excerpt is pretty much my view on the dumb buttons vs. address bar.
I said something similar on the development list, before pointed to this
post.

Same with the file dialog. Apparently it's too "confusing" to let users
just type the filename. So gnome forces you to do the icon selection
thing, never mind that it's a million times slower.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-November/msg00518.html

I still prefer GNOME over KDE, Linus does make a good point regarding
GNOME and their dumbing down the interface.

Jim

--
"In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
 --Frank Zappa