xmms "can't create mcop directory"

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Sun Dec 18 20:45:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 19:47 +0000, Stanton Finley wrote:
> After a recent yum update (i386) and installation of xmms via yum xmms
> won't start. When I try to start it in a terminal I get:
>
> 	Creating link /home/stan/.kde/socket-localhost.localdomain.
> 	can't create mcop directory
>
> This happens both as root and as my regular user. Any ideas?

Did you recently update arts to 1.5.0? I had similar issues with gltron,
bzflag, and a few other SDL apps from Extras that didn't like it.

As root, run `rpm -e --nodeps arts` to remove arts.

It's a very dirty kludge though, as Livna's xine and mplayer builds
depend on arts, so they will not function when arts is removed (can't
load some arts libraries).

[off-topic]
Let it be known that I really...*really* despise arts....
[/off-topic]

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
GnuPG Public Key: 0xDA3634D7