Correct place to extract/install user applications?

kebbelj at scripting-solutions.com kebbelj at scripting-solutions.com
Tue Dec 20 13:03:47 UTC 2005

I have a packages folder in my home directory. The packages folder is where I save the tar and rpm files I want to preserve on CD so I don't have to re-download them later in case I have to reinstall my system.

I'm having a problem with my latest download, NVU. I extracted NVU inside my packages folder. It extracted ready to run with no make file. I don't think it belongs in the packages folder even though it runs fine from there.

Where is the correct place to extract/install user applications?