Is Redhat/Fedora Losing Interest in KDE?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Dec 20 23:52:52 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> David Cary Hart wrote:
>

>>> I don't want to (re)ignite the Gnome-Kde food fight but I much prefer
>>> KDE.
>>>

>> I don't want to reignite anything hostile threads either.... but you're
>> not alone:
>>
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/13/1340215
>

> I don't understand why Linus Torvald's opinion on this matters to anyone
> but himself.

It doesn't, of course, but many people agree with him.

> I use both GNOME (on my own desktop FC2 machine) and KDE (on my
> girlfriend's DEBIAN machine).
>
> Aside from the fact that I have a friendly dislike for *all* GUIs,
> and use them mostly just to start up console windows so I can

I find a dozen virtual consoles essential, and ofen populate one or more
of them with screen, running several sessions within it.

> get command-line access, I don't find that either of them is
> particularly superior to the other. I do find that the KDE menu
> is less well thought out than GNOME, making it harder to find things
> when I need them. KDE is supposedly the "power user's I/F", which
> I find odd, given that I have a really hard time finding the
> extra power it brings.

KDE puts your applications at the top of the menu. Finding stuff you use
often shouldn't be hard. How many it chooses and how it chooses them are
your choice. I've not noticed tha Gmome has anything like this.

I like to get a list of all windows open on all my (18 atm) desktops.
It's easy in KDE, and I used to be able to do it in Gnome (and OS/2 for
that matter). Can't see how to do it in Gnome now.

I could cast a few more nasturtiums at Gnome's menus, but I'd want a
clean install first. I do recall, though, reading in the past 24 hours
that Gnome now "has a menu editor at last."

> So, I find no reason to switch from GNOME on my machine to KDE.
> And, if I had KDE running, I probably wouldn't find any particular
> reason to switch to GNOME.
>
> I don't even understand why anyone would have strong feelings about
> it. Just give me a way to have more than one command-line interface,
> and run my web browser and e-mail at the same time. I don't need
> a GUI to administer my machine, and find that it generally gets
> in the way, whether it be GNOME or KDE.

If your needs aren't very demanding, I can understand that. However, if
you'd just spent $20,000 on a flash colour laser printer that collates,
cuts and binds, you'd be pretty distressed to discover you can't
configure those capabilities in your Gnome print dialogue. However, KDE
exposes the capabilities described in the PPD so you'd be able to
control those features.

In Gnome, I can't even set the printer resolution.

Finally, for this missive, I purchased Dec 2005 Linux Format yesterday,
and before I started reading this email I checked out its comparison of
photo managers (p36). The review included DigiKam (KDE, 8/10), F-Spot
(Mono, 7/10), GThumb (Gnome, 5/10), KimDaBa (KDE, 6/10) KPhotoBook (KDE,
5/10) and Kalbum (4/10).

--

Cheers
John