Getting fuji to work as webcam

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:59:03 UTC 2005

On 12/19/05, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > On 12/18/05, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you put it in webcam mode what does your machine detect when you plug
> >> the camera in (presumably not a mass storage device)? There are a number
> >> of usb video capture chipsets  supported by linux, though it's entirely
> >> possible that whatever the fuji has isn't one of them.
> >>
> >> joelja
> >>

> > Nothing shows up in KDiskFree. I can set the camera to turn on in Mass
> > Storage mode, with I _can_ mount in KDiskFree, but not in webcam mode.
> > In webcam mode nothing changes when I turn the camera on- as if it
> > isn't there.
>
> you would want to plug it in and then type:
>
> dmesg
>
> at the command-line, if it's a video capture device it isn't going
> to show up as a filesystem rather it will be a device, /dev/videofoo
>
> if it does you can use it with gnomemeeting or xawtv or something.
>
> joelja

Sorry for the delay in replying. When I plug the device in, I get a
new device in /dev:
/dev/usbdev3.2

in dmesg I got:
usb 3-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 3-3: USB disconnect, address 2

So presumably I can use the device? Er, how to I get Skype to
recognize it, then? Skype now supports video. Or Kopete, for that
matter.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html