Fedora Core 4 Update: caching-nameserver-7.3-4.FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 22 11:06:24 UTC 2005

Tim:
>> I know what the RPMSAVE copies are for, I'm not sure if you noticed what
>> I listed.  The /etc/named.conf.rpmsave file is really a link to the
>> chrooted named.conf file.  It doesn't link to the chrooted
>> named.conf.rpmsave file.

Tony Nelson:
> Of course I noticed what you listed.  Read what I posted, and think about
> it.  Look up any words you don't understand.  Perhaps "mv" is one of them.

There's just one person looking like an arsehole in this thread, and
it's you.

>> i.e. I reckon that it should have done things like this (below), not
>> like how it actually did it (above).
>>
>> ll /etc/named.conf*
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Dec 20 16:15 /etc/named.conf -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Oct 27 12:36 /etc/named.conf.rpmsave -> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.rpmsave

> You "reckon" wrong.

In *your* *opinion*.  There's no point in putting a misleading link
in /etc/, no matter what process was involved in creating the link.

>> Notice a slight difference?

> Yes.  That difference was, in fact, the point of my post, which you should
> read carefully.  Computers are not intelligent, or smart, or able to guess
> what you want for arbitrary data.

And it seems some posters (you) aren't, either, nor whomever came up
with the update routine.

I care not whether you want to say the "mv" command works this way or
that.  What matters to me and anyone else mucked around by this mess, is
that the RPM update works in a damn stupid way.  *It* ought to take care
of updating files and ensuring that links to files are sensible.  "It"
being both the person who wrote the updating routine, and everything
involved in running it.  *It* shouldn't be done in the way that it's
currently being done.

There is *no* sensible reason to put links in the /etc/ file that
misleads you into thinking that they'll be links to the named.conf file
and the named.conf.rpmsave file when they're both links to the same
thing.

I read messages from the public lists.