status of Palm Sync

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:09:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just bought a Treo 650 and was looking for info about how to use it with
FC4 when I found the posting below which says FC4 is "completely broken with
respect to Palm syncronization".  Is this supposed to be addressed in FC5,
or should I "downgrade" to FC3?  Has anybody synced a Treo with Evolution in
FC5-test1?

Thanks...
                       David

PS - The fedora website seems to have moved links to this mailing list, so I
apologize if somebody already asked a similar question.  Searches of the
mailing list archives were broken for years anyway.

"	FC4 is completely broken with respect to Palm syncronization.
We've been dealing with it for about a month on the J-Pilot list, and
most people have decided to reformat and reinstall FC3 or another
non-Fedora Linux distribution because of the myriad of issues with it
(as well as dozens upon dozens of other broken packages they threw in
there).

	One ironic thing I should note is that Fedora's packagers
included pre-release versions of pilot-link and J-Pilot in the FC4
release, even though the front page of pilot-link.org for the latest
release (and previous releases) openly says, and I quote:

	DO NOT PACKAGE THIS UP TO PUT IN LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS!
	You have been warned.

	Apparently they didn't seem to care, or thought they knew more
about the situation than I did when I wrote those release notes. There
is a very specific reason 0.12.x has a -preX release number in it...
so that it does NOT end up in distributions while applications like
Evolution, J-Pilot, KPilot, PilotManager, SyncBuddy, MissingSync, etc.
all update their codebases to work with the changes in the pilot-link
API."