FC4 installation appears to disappear...?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Dec 24 06:28:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:02:54PM -0800, Richard England wrote:
 > Toshiba Tecra 9000  W/ FC3.
 >
 > I attempted an upgrade from FC3 to FC4 using a set of CDs that pass both
 > the sha1sum and "Media Check". The installation (upgrade) seemed to run
 > to completion (Graphical install was used), but when I rebooted, I came
 > up in FC3.
 >
 > If I try to perform the upgrade again, the only options I am given are
 > to perform a complete fresh install or  "Upgrade and existing
 > installation" [Fedora Core 4 (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00) ]  and there is
 > no indication of the older FC3 version. When I check "/boot", I do not
 > see any indication of the new kernel.  grub.conf does not contain the
 > new kernel configuration either. "/root/upgrade.log" has a new date/time
 > so it is being modified. Checking it only shows that Firefox was updated
 > but it has a whole boat load of packages that are marked "available
 > ...but NOT upgraded".  ??!

what does rpm -q kernel say ?
I think I know whats happened.  You had an FC3+updates installation,
which installs a 2.6.12 kernel. FC4 shipped with a 2.6.11 based kernel,
so anaconda sees the higher version number is already installed, and
skips the install of the FC4 package.

If this is the case, 'yum update' should grab the latest 2.6.14 based
FC4 update.

		Dave