Fedora Boot Hangs

Rajeev Goonewardene fedora at ready2think.com
Sat Dec 24 17:13:54 UTC 2005

> [mythtv at pvr ~]$ uname -a
> Linux pvr.rajserv.lan 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 #1 Tue Dec 13 21:32:09 EST
> 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Hardware:
> ASUS P5RD1-VM1 with a Celeron 2.66G processor (has an Azalia/Intel
> HDA sound card integrated)
> Pioneer 16xDVDRW
> Western Digital 160G drive (sata I)
> 512 M of RAM
> Hauppauge PVR 350 Video Card
>
> Everything works great except for two minor yet annoying issues.
>
> Problem 1:
> When I try to reboot the machine with a commercial DVD (Office Space
> for example) in the drive, the boot process hangs with the following
> message:
>
> Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
> /dev/hda: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 573177856: Input/output error
> After taking the DVD out of the drive, everything works great (after
> a reboot).  The DVD player works great as well and I am able to use
> it after boot without any issues.  The funny thing is that it doesn't
> happen when I have DVD-R media with home made movie in the drive.

After some reading - I found the problem was my Pioneer DVD drive - I
added the following kernel options to my /boot/grub/grub.conf:
"hda=noprobe hda=cdrom"

And things now work incase someone else has the same problem

> Problem 2:
> In all cases, when I perform a cold boot - when initializing audio,
> the boot process hangs.  Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL or the reset button
> seems to work and the next boot seems to work.  This happens even
> after I disable the Azalia controller in the BIOS.
>
> I don't think these problems are related - but I posted them together
> incase they are since the both happen during boot.

I figured out this one as well - but I just have a workaround.  It
was hanging on the loading of the ehci-hdc module at boot, so I went
to my USB configuration and disabled USB EHCI.  This doesn't matter
for now since I have no need for the enhanced USB... but I would
still like to know a proper solution.  Now cold boots work fine.