How To Setup Local Printer With Standard Tcp/Ip Port In Linux?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 26 11:18:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 17:28 +0800, Ciba LO wrote:
> I ran the Printer Configuration Tool and followed the wizard to the
> Queue Type Dialog. Then enter the followings.
> Queue Type: Networked CUPS (IPP)
> Server: 192.168.1.1 (The router IP)
> printer port of the router, I guess)

A device path like lp1 (line printer one) would only apply when
configuring a printer that is directly connected to the machine you're
configuring.  A remote one requires the network path to the queue for
the print server, not the device configured on the print server (more
like the default example, perhaps with "queue1" replaced by the
printer's name).

You're mixing Windows and Linux, so I don't know if this will work for
you.  But with Linux, the *only* thing you'd need to do with a client is
to configure the /etc/cups/client.conf file to have the print server's
domain name.  If Windows did IPP in a CUPS compatible way, I'd expect
that to work.

I read messages from the public lists.