/dev/null strangeness

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Dec 26 22:27:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 12:01:49PM -0600, David Gomez wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 11:20 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > I have a FC4 system that every time it reboots the permissions on
> > /dev/null change from 0666 to 0660. This causes boot errors and the
> > system will not boot.
> >
> > That seemed to me to be a udev error so I looked in:
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
> > and the mode of null seems correct.
> >
> > Am I looking in the wrong place or what can I do to fix this problem?
>

> Its probably pam related.
> look under /etc/security, but I am not sure that's it
>
> check console.perms
I can see why you would suggest console.perms as the place to look
for a solution to this problem. But:
1. I can find no reference to /dev/null in console.perm related
files.
2. We have ~50 machines with the same copnfiguration of
console.perms and do not have the same problem.

If anyone has further assistance on where to look I would appreciate
it.

One seldom sees a monument to a committee.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484