pax/ustar not properly handling long pathnames

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 16:50:15 UTC 2005

man pax says that ustar format handles filenames up to 99 characters
and pathnames (filename + directory names + slashes) up to 250
characters. So why am I getting this message back from pax when I try
to create a ustar-formatted archive?

pax: File name too long for ustar
/home/matt/.openoffice.org2.0/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/StartModuleWindowState.xcu

It's 100 characters total, which would be too long for old-fashioned
tar. But ustar should be fine with it. This is FC4, fyi.

Thanks,
Matt