Accumulating swap over time

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Thu Dec 29 23:35:44 UTC 2005

Running FC4 kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4smp.  I seem to accumulate a large
amount of swap over time.  (A few days.  I'm not running any unusual
apps.  My memory stastics (xosview) says I have gobs of free memory but
after a while, even with a gig or more of free RAM my swap goes up to
several hundred megabytes and things slow way down.  The disk swaps
madly and then backs off for a while.  It seems to be cyclic in nature
but the swap never goes away until a reboot.  At all times I have in
excess of a gig of free RAM.  The only apps I'm running are Firefox,
Thunderbird, openoffice 2.0, perhaps a music player on this machine
under KDE 3.5.0.

Thanks
Doug P