OT: Personal Diary/Journal Software

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 31 09:25:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 11:29 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> It looks like such a program does not exist for Linux. I spent an
> inordinate amount of time on freshmeat and sourceforge trying to
> install what was there. Most were web based blogs which is not what I
> was looking for. The ones that were workstation programs were either
> impossible to compile/install due to dependencies on ancient releases
> of various libraries and the like or did not have encryption.

A diary was something I've been thinking about the other day.  Are there
any that store their information in a manner that can be read by
something else?

I'm thinking of something like a business diary where you jot down notes
related to work today, tomorrow, next week, etc., and you can refer back
to them years later without needing special software to do so.

At this stage I've just written a flat HTML calendar page.  I can see
what needs to be done on any PC on the network, and years later I'll be
able to *easily* check up on who had what done for them on what date.

I've tried using calendar functions in various mail programs, but they
only work on the local client.  Not to mention that you need to
continuously run a behemoth program to check on what you should be doing
(for reminders about multiple activities during the day).

I read messages from the public lists.