DAT/DDS tape backups...

Angus MacGyver macgyver at calibre-solutions.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 14:04:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 08:36 -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Angus MacGyver wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > [root at hostname data_backups]# du -sh *
> > 19G     data
> > 17G     data.tar.gz
>
> Ok, so whatever you have in data is only compressible by 11% using gzip,
> it's entirely possible that the compression algorythm used by your tape
> drive actually end up making it larger.
>
> > 1.9G    mail
> > 494M    mail.tar.gz

Yeah, just as I had started to figure...
I just now need to figure out if my MP3s are worth backing up.
(and change just how I store date)

To all that replied, Thanks, at least I know I am  not going mad...

One thing to note..
Amanda does give wildly different results to the dump when it comes to
how much data I can get onto the tape.
(i.e. many G less than Dump)

AM

Angus MacGyver <macgyver at calibre-solutions.co.uk>