Newbie needs to Untar and compile file

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 00:33:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 08:27, Stuart K Laing wrote:
>   The subject line says it all I need some real step by step instructions
> here. I know where the file is and its name it is a tgz but I need to untar
> it  and then compile so that I can get the software in it working.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
> Stuart

tar zxvf filename.tgz

This will extract the files from the tgz file in the directory you
currently in.

Most tar balls will use the following to build them:

./configure
make
make install

Best to read any README or INSTALL files that come with the package for
the particulars but the above sequence is almost universal.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Mencken and Nathan's Fifteenth Law of The Average American:
	The worst actress in the company is always the manager's wife.