browser plugin support under FC3

Angelo Machils angelus at sangreal.demon.nl
Tue Feb 1 09:38:16 UTC 2005

Jonathan schreef:

>>> the

>> Firefox for Linux x86_64 has a quirk. You can't install the 32-bit
>> versions of some plugins, most notably flash player, maybe others,
>> because flsh player is still for 32-bit Linux, I don't exaclty know why
>> it will not work on an x86_64 system, I think it is becuase of some of
>> the libraries requried by it that may not have all the required
>> components the plugin needs (maybe it is due to the intrinsic
>> differences in sizes of integers and the like).
>

> This is not a quirk, but the fundamental way things work.  You can run
> 32-bit apps on an AMD64 processor with an x86_64 OS, but you cannot
> mix 32- and 64-bit in the same program.  So 64-bit Firefox cannot use
> 32-bit plugins.  That is why 32-bit programs need the 32-bit libraries
> installed.  The processor has two distinct modes for 64- or 32-bit and
> code for plugins is too close to the code for the program for the two
> to be different architectures.
> So, in response to Angelo, if you want to use plugins for which there
> are only 32-bit versions right now (like flash and java), uninstall
> 64-bit Firefox and get the 32-bit version and your plugins will work
> just fine (go to your local mirror and pick up the RPM).  Also, make
> sure you *soft link* to the plugin.  Don't copy it to
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ or it still will not work (by the way,
> Firefox has its own directory seperate from Mozilla).  If you want,
> you can run 32-bit Mozilla and 64-bit Firefox, or vise-versa if you
> want both a 32- and 64-bit browser.  I don't think you can have both
> versions of one installed, though.  At least yum didn't like that
> idea.  32-bit Firefox runs great for me though, so I think I'll just
> stick with it until 64-bit plugins have come around.
>
> Jonathan

Oeps, had the wrong subject line in the previous reply, sorry about that.

Thank you for the reply. There is Firefox 0.9 and Mozilla 1.7.3 (both
64-bits) installed already. How can I remove for example Mozilla (when I
do a rpm -qa mozilla I get a whole load full of RPM's) and/or replace it
with a 32-bits version?

What directory does Firefox use for its plugins??

Thanks in advance, Angelo