RH9 -> FC3: no upgrade offered

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Feb 1 10:51:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 09:58 -0600, m g wrote:
> I would guess, given how many horror stories I've heard, that going
> from RH9->FC1 would involve not just a yum update, but also manual
> tweaking before you could do FC1->FC2, which would also require manual
> tweawking, and so on.
>
> Seriously, backup home and maybe /var/www - everything else, you can
> reinstall.  You could even rpm -q > foo.txt to make sure you know what
> you had installed.

Agree with the advice to do a fresh install rather than upgrade.  I also
find it useful to back up /etc to "mine" for config settings, user/group
definitions, etc.

If you DO decide to upgrade (as I have admittedly done on occasion),
"rpm -qa --last > RPMS_by_Install_Time.txt" is very helpful.  Look at
the end of the output for packages that pre-date the upgrade and remove,
upgrade from 3rd party repos, or otherwise deal with them as necessary.

Phil