Switching from i386 to x86_64?

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at predichem.com
Tue Feb 1 15:28:03 UTC 2005

I've got a new box here with a nForce 4 based Gigabyte K8NF-9 mobo, an
Athlon 64 3200+ and PCIE-E 6600GT.

Had to get it up and running quickly today, and only had the i386 build
of FC3 at hand (and not enough bandwidth to get the x86_64 isos within
time), so I've installed that. I also read on the web that there was
some problems with this motherboard/CPU/PCI-E combo and the x86_64 which
was another reason for installing i386 for the moment.

Anyway, how should I proceed to update this box later to the x86_64
based distro? I've separated out /home on a different partition, so I
guess I could just reinstall... (?) Is there a more preferable way
though? For instance, could I mount the new iso images and have yum do
an "arch upgrade" (or anaconda for that matter)?

Thanks,
--
Tarjei