Newbie needs to Untar and compile file

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Tue Feb 1 23:00:00 UTC 2005

Greetings Stuart.

Stuart K Laing wrote:

>  The subject line says it all I need some real step by step instructions
> here. I know where the file is and its name it is a tgz

if the filename of the file in question is in the form something.tar.gz or
something.tgz , then it is not exactly a tar archive . It is a tar
archive that
has been compressed with gz ( that is what gz in tgz means ) , so in
order to
untar it you have first to uncompress it .

The command that Scott Harris has just given you does both of these things .
You might want to read the tar man pages which describes things pretty
well .

Kind Regards,
   Kostas