Volume settings not preserved, who's to blame?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Feb 1 23:56:32 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> I find that my volume settings are not saved in FC2.  I have to turn up the
>> volume every time I log in.  Examining the volume control settings, it
>> looks like that all settings are saved, except for the "PCM" setting.
>>
>> Who do I file this bug against?
>
> Do you have a standard Fedora kernel?

Yup.

> What sound card do you have?

It's a laptop with an AC97-compatible chipset, that uses i810_audio.o

> Do you have a line containing "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" in
> /etc/modprobe? What does the rest of the line say?

modprobe.conf is for the 2.4 kernels.

In modules.conf, I've got this monstrosity:

post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

> What happens if you run
> /usr/sbin/alsactl store
> from the root prompt?

alsactl works just fine.

I'll try dicking around with modules.conf…