md5sum or SHA1 or gpg keys for rpm packages

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Wed Feb 2 08:24:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 18:09 -0800, Richard Hubbell wrote:
> I want to download some files from here but I don't see any checksums
> or hte like to verify the packages after download.
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/

Ideally, you should be using yum instead of downloading individual RPM
files.  yum verifies the package integrity using GPG encryption keys.
RPM will do the same if you import the keys.

> Does anyone know where I can find those?

They are built-in to the RPM package itself:
  rpm --checksig somepackage.rpm

If you want to verify that the package hasn't been altered you really
should import the appropriate GPG keys and verify the GPG signature:
  http://www.fedorafaq.org/#gpgsig

For example:
$ rpm --checksig xosd-2.2.12-1.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm
xosd-2.2.12-1.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/