Find hard links?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Feb 2 13:35:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 13:20 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> D. D. Brierton wrote:
> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

This first was me being stupid. The tar job *always* reported that I now
realise, so nothing to worry about there.

> > tar: Removing leading `/' from hard link targets

This one is however new.

> tar will generate warning messages like these when you tell it to use
> absolute filenames, e.g.
>
> $ tar cf mybackup.tar /home/me
>
> You can prevent this by telling it to use relative filenames instead, e.g.
>
> $ cd /home; tar cf mybackup.tar me

Yes, I realise that and I'm perfectly happy for it to continue to issue
such warnings. What unnerved me slightly is that it never reported the
message for hard link targets, and to the best of my knowledge there
shouldn't be any hard links in my home directory.

I'm concerned that there might be something wrong with my filesystem,
such that filenames which are supposed to point to different inodes are
now pointing to the same, or, in other words that I have lost some files
in restoring my partitions from images.

Thanks for the help.

Best, Darren