openldap-servers strange crash

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 2 14:42:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 10:03 +0100, Herbert Gasiorowski wrote:
> The ldap server crashes in a way that all requests are
> accepted but never answered!
> Thus all other host cannot be used any more, as user,
> hosts and automounter lookups block the system
> and the slave ldap servers will never be asked.
>
> The last time I could start the master but again all
> requests did not succeed. When I stop the master all works
> well - using the slaves. After slapadd-ing the latest backup
> the master works as expected.
>
> Anyone has an idea?
----
rather than get sucked into speculation of what may be going on in your
setup I would suggest that logging is your friend...

loglevel -1 #add to slapd.conf

and if you don't want to cream your /var/log/messages with an endless
stream of data...

local4.*     /var/log/slapd.log #add to /etc/syslog.conf and
'service restart syslogd'
'service restart ldap'

your answer will lie in /var/log/slapd.log

Craig