User Manager and useradd

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Feb 2 17:45:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:38:16AM -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
> I am working on scripts to manage user accounts a little easier.  In the
> User Manager GUI app there is a field 'Full Name'.  However, the CLI
> command 'useradd' does not have a field for 'Full Name'.  It does have a
> 'comment' field (The new user's password file comment field) as shown in
> 'man useradd'.  Question, are these two the same field and if not, where
> is the 'Full Name' data stored by User Manager and what exactly is the
> comment field of the 'useradd' command?

Try it and find out -- that's what I did to make sure I'm giving you the
right answer here. And that answer is: yes, it sets that field. (see 'man 5
passwd' -- it's the "GECOS" field.)

You can also use the 'chfn' command to set this, plus some other
semi-standard data often written there.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--