LDAP newb question?

stuart stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Feb 2 21:59:34 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 21:19, Tim Alberts wrote:
> Not really a question for a fedora user list, but this is the only list
> I enjoy...

> First, can I use a single LDAP server to maintain two different address
> books (internal contacts / external contacts) and use it as an
> authentication system for two (or more) Linux machines? I'm trying to
> learn how to setup LDAP and I see all these tutorials for these tasks
> separately, but nothing that really says I can do it all at once with
> one server.
Yes you can. Give them different dn entries and you're away...
e.g.
dn=Bob Smith,ou=external,ou=people,dc=yourdomain,dc=com
dn=My mum, ou=internal,ou=people,dc=yourdomain,dc=com

LDAP is also perfectly capable of being an authentication server.
It supports StartTLS for encryption and can also work together with kerberos
and samba to play nicely with AD if you need it to.

> Second, if the computer running the LDAP server fails in some manner is
> the database easily copied/mirrored to another server that can take
> over?  Is it as easy as copy the config and data directory to the second
> machine and turn on the server?  Or does LDAP have a built in structure
> for maintaining information among a primary/backup server?
Yes, master and slaves communicate using slurpd.

I thouroughly recommend the O'Reilly LDAP book - very readable and
informative.

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX
Failure is more frequently from want of energy than want of capital.