Input/output ERROR FC3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 00:27:09 UTC 2005

KIMARIO FAWKES wrote:
> I attempted to run ls -1 /etc/mtab, I got
>
> ls: /etc/mtab: Input/output error
> ls: lsattr: No such file or directory

Worrying.

But that was "ls -l" not "ls -1" (minus lower case L, not number 1)
and
lsattr /etc/mtab
no separate ls command.

I'd also run memtest (boot from the install CD and type in memtest at
the first prompt) and (in Fedora), as root,
smartctl -H /dev/hda

smartctl -l error /dev/hda

smartctl -t short /dev/hda
which will do a low-level check on the disk: wait a minute for that to
run, then do
smartctl -l selftest /dev/hda
to see the results.

That should check for hardware errors. Running
touch /forcefsck
and rebooting should (take a bit longer, but) make sure that the root
filesystem is in good shape, too.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | How about an Australian-language version?
Exeter    Devon    UK | 'Your program just attempted an illegal instruction.