FC2 PCMCIA / Wireless Problems, Dell Latitude C840 Laptop

G-Love greg at 20percent.org
Thu Feb 3 06:45:33 UTC 2005

Just did a fresh install of FC2 on a Dell Latitude C840 laptop, and am
having a bit of trouble with PCMCIA.  It appears as though PCMCIA
services are not being started at all.  When I boot the machine, my
wireless card is in slot 1, but I get no ack during boot that it was
recognized.  Then, /sbin/cardctl status just after boot gives me:

open_sock(): No such device

I can get the PCMCIA services running manually by doing
service network stop
service pcmcia stop
modprobe yenta_socket
service pcmcia start
service network start

So, my question is two-fold:

1) How do I get pcmcia to start on boot? (As a side, I've installed FC2
on other desktops/laptops and have not previously seen this behavior).

2) What further steps do I need to take once pcmcia services are running
  to get my wireless nic working?  I've got all my network parameters,
etc, handy, so that's not an issue.

A little more info:

# /sbin/cardctl info for my wireless card
[324] $ /sbin/cardctl info
PRODID_1="Lucent Technologies"
PRODID_2="WaveLAN/IEEE"
PRODID_3="Version 01.01"