Even Numbered Kernels

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Feb 3 07:10:22 UTC 2005

Michael Scottaline wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:56:58 -0500
>Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> insightfully noted:
>
>SP>How come the big popular kernels are even numbered minor releases?
>SP>Kernel 2.0,  2.2, 2.4, and 2.6 are the only ones used. Why don't (or
>SP>didn't) distros ship  with 2.1, 2.3, and 2.5 kernels? I checked debian,
>SP>redhat, suse, and mandrake  (with distrowatch.com) and all previous
>SP>versions had the even kernels only.  Thanks!
>SP>-Steven
>SP>
>=====================
>Odd numbers were (are) reserved for test, or development, releases.
>Linus' decision, I believe.....
>Mike

Yes, if I recall correctly, even numbers, though still improved, are
stable releases and may undergo minor testing of features, like the
current -rc# releases. I don't know at which point during 2.4 did Linux
moved into the 2.5 test branch, but I think he'll wait a little bit
longer with the current 2.6 releases before moving to 2.7 (I'm pretty
sure I read about this somewhere, but I can't remember if it was on LJ
or LM or on-line somewhere).