Could an Intel 486 wake up with FC3

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Feb 3 16:18:58 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:
> The major
> exception comes in atomic locking instructions for NTPL. And that (for
> very good binary and source level compatibility reasons) is done in
> glibc, which *is* compiled to i586 or i686.

Actually, glibc is combiled as i386 or i686, with i386 version using
i486 instructions in NTPL related functions (so, while rpm package
claims to be i386, in reality it is i486).  It would probably be less
complicated and cleaner if it was simply built as i586.  But that is
just my opinion...

I guess I was always weak in political stuff, and from what other wrote
in this (and other) threads, i386 vs i586 distro seems to belong to that
category.