RH7.3 & legacy question

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Feb 3 16:33:10 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Can I re-adjust the up2date config file on a formerly subscribed RH7.3
> machine, whatever its called, to repoint it at the 'legacy' repo, and
> have it keep the 7.3 box reasonably well up2date for security fixes
> and such, with the up2date utility from the formerly paid
> subscription?

You can probably do something like that.  But the speed updates are made
to legacy packages is so slow, you'll be waiting for very long time for
updated packages.  If concerned with security, and don't like Fedora's
short life cycle, I'd consider switching to either RHEL or some free
RHEL clone.

The only alternative, if you wish to keep 7.3 and have fresh updates is
to build new updated packages yourself.  That's what I was doing for 7.3
boxes.  I was usually using SRPMs from Fedora for building (because of
this my RPMs probably wouldn't be acceptable for 7.3 legacy project),
but if you want to stay closer to 7.3 versions of packages, you might
try using RHEL SRPMs for your builds.  For most packages, simple
rpmbuild --rebuild will suffice.  For some you'll need to tweak spec
files first (I usually change release in spec file, to indicate it was
package built by me, not from the distribution, much like the legacy
versioning scheme).