MegaRAID Slow Performance

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri Feb 4 02:31:00 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 20:48, Chris Stark wrote:

> > If you want a good, well supported ide raid I'd recommend 3ware. Not the
> > fastest thing out there, but in my experience rock solid and very well
> > supported.
>
> I actually tried to find a new 3ware card out there, but the only ones I
> could  find were either SATA or 64-bit PCI (my server mobo only has 32-bit
> PCI slots). I suppose I should have looked harder. I'll probably just end
> up getting an external firewire RAID 5 when I can afford it.

You can run a 64bit PCI card in a 32bit slot (unless there is something on the
board blocking the slots - but usually that only happens on maybe one slot on
a decent board).

This is from the 9000 series manual:

* 64-bit PCI slots
    Although the controller fits in both 32-bit and 64-bit PCI or
    PCI-X slots with 5V as well as with 3.3V, install it in a 64-
    bit slot to take full advantage of the controller's
    performance.

Peter.