Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Feb 4 04:48:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 20:24 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> I am trying to get a Microtek X12 USL scanner attached, and udev fails
> to mount it, every time.  Has anyone tried uninstalling udev and
> reinstalling devfs to stop all these damn usb failures?
>
> If so, any hints on how not to make your system unstable?

File a bug report that clearly describes the problem?

I'm not sure what USB has to do with a SCSI scanner...  But, I have many
USB devices all connected at once that work perfectly fine: Hard disk,
HP tape drive, 6-in-1 card reader, Imation Superdisk (Macintosh
software-eject version), CD-RW, usb-to-parallel printer converter,
Kensington USB mouse, and a USB-PS/2 keyboard/mouse adapter.

In the past I've had to hotplug USB devices after boot but that doesn't
seem to be a problem any longer.  The only other hardware related
problems I've noticed are that when HAL is upgraded it doesn't start the
new version of haldaemon.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/