Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Feb 4 08:41:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 20:24 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Any ETA on when udev is going to be ready for prime time?  And, any
> clue why Fedora insists on relying on a program that does not f*(&%ing
> work!!!!
>
> I am trying to get a Microtek X12 USL scanner attached, and udev fails
> to mount it, every time.  Has anyone tried uninstalling udev and
> reinstalling devfs to stop all these damn usb failures?
>
> If so, any hints on how not to make your system unstable?

I had to search around a bit before I could get my old HP ScanJet 3c
SCSI scanner going but it's sorted now. I just had to add the following
udev rule, which I put in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="HP*", SYSFS{model}="C2520A*",
SYMLINK="scanner%n"

This creates a link /dev/scanner0 to the SCSI generic device assigned to
the scanner, and changes ownership of the device to whoever's logged in
on the console.

The page that clued me in was:
http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

Paul.