Configure FC2 as Bridge

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Feb 4 10:59:08 UTC 2005

Franco wrote:

> Hi, i have your same output of ifconfig, when i restart
> the network i see that just eth0 is in promiscuous mode seams that
> eth1 don't is in this state. How can i do to change state?
> How can i do to controll the bridge ( firewall ) from other network?
> I need to add another NIC CARD ?
> Best regards.

I have a custom init.d script which starts my bridge. In that I have the
follwing code:

     brctl addbr bridge
     for card in $CARDS; do
         brctl addif bridge $card
         ifconfig $card promisc 0.0.0.0
     done

where $CARDS contains a list of the cards I'm adding into the bridge. The
cards are put into promiscous mode here, with the ifconfig command. Is there
an option you can add into /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth1 which
will put it into promiscuous mode, something like PROMISC=yes?

As to network cards, you only need 2 to make a bridge. The bridge interface
is a pseudo-interface which you use to communicate with the bridge device.
If you are not intending to communicate with the bridge over the network you
don't need to ifconfig it and give it an IP. For a bridging firewall this
makes it even more secure as it can then only be accessed from the console.
But it makes it much less convenient to administer.

You can see what the status of the bridge is using brctl, for example to see
what bridges are up and running:

# brctl show
bridge          8000.0001034126cc       yes             eth0
                                                         eth1
To see what MACs it's got in it's address table:

# brctl showmacs bridge  # (in your case this would be br0)
port no mac addr                is local?       ageing timer
   1     00:00:e8:86:15:9e       no               120.45
   1     00:00:e8:86:17:23       no               211.15
   2     00:04:76:d6:d2:0e       yes                0.00

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555