MegaRAID Slow Performance

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Feb 4 15:07:17 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Many 64-bit cards will also work in 32-bit slot.

Oh, one thing I forgot to tell you.  Since there will be part of the
connector (that extra lines needed for 64-bit operation) "hanging" above
the motherboard when you plug 64-bit card into 32-bit slot, check that
there's room for it (vertically).  I've seen motherboards where it was
not possible to plug 64-bit card simply because various connectors,
capacitors, chips in high sockets, or whatever were blocking that space.
  There must be some free space (aprox 1 3/4" in length) in front of the
connector.  Low-height chips are OK, they will leave enough space for
the card's 64-bit part of the connector.  Anything higher, and you won't
be able to insert the card.  Most recent motherboards are designed with
this in mind, and have no obstructive elements in front of PCI slots
(only low height chips, which are OK), or such elements are aligned with
in-between-slots space.  Some older and/or poorly designed motherboards
might have capacitors, connectors or other junk exactly alligned and
just infront of the PCI slot(s).  Actually, I saw one rather recent
Intel mobo with exactly that problem (some stupid diod that could have
easilly be placed a bit to the side, making one of the PCI slots
unusable for 64bit cards, sigh).