Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Feb 4 17:16:45 UTC 2005

David Cary Hart wrote:
> No. We won't. A local ISP doesn't mean that you are using local SMTP.
> Typically a traveler uses local resources to connect. Once connected,
> they are connecting to their primary POP/IMAP & SMTP servers to send and
> receive email. In the alternative, they are using a webmail interface
> (which is what I use when I travel).

Paul&David,

Not all users have luxuriy of having SMTP server doing authentication on
port 587 (plus, some ISP might block that one too).  Plus you need
support in mail client to connect to port other than 25 (not all support
it).

Webmail is nice, but not all people like it.  It is especially
inconvinient for people who use POP3 to get their mail.  Again, in this
hypothetical situation, you are forcing legitimate sender's to deal with
your spam problem (just like with TDMA, maybe even a bit worse).