Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Feb 4 17:38:25 UTC 2005

> Am Freitag, den 04.02.2005, 11:15 -0600 schrieb Thomas Cameron:
>
> > I have to agree with Kevin on this.  I am really amazed at the whole
> > udev
> > debacle.  To me it seems that we are trying to adopt a form of "Plug and
> > Play" for Linux.  While the concept is cool, I wonder if it is really
> > necessary.  What I mean is, the old method (tons of files in /dev) Just
> > Worked(TM).  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
> >

> So it really had worked? Hmmm. I plugin my USB Stick got it mount to the
> Desktop, i plugin Mouse and other Stuff and Xorg loads it.

On my machine, yes.  In FC2 I had no issues at all with my USB stuff.  I
will freely admit though, that my USB stuff was pretty simple - a pair of
external USB2 drives.

> Afaik as Linux goes to the Desktop it should be in there.
>
> As we are all FC3 User we know that using the newest Distribution is
> something like beeing a Test Object for the Developers. You wan't stable
> and well tested feature's? Stay one Release behind.

I'm not arguing that either.

> You wan't bleeding egde? Well then install the newest Release.
> But installing the newest Stuff and whining that it doesn't work as you
> expect it is not clever.

Not trying to be clever.  I don't think I'm "whining," either.  I am simply
saying that I don't understand the motivation for udev.

I'm also not saying that I think udev is bad.  I am just saying that I don't
understand the move to it.  In my experience (which is certainly not
authoritative - it is just my experience), the old method worked great.  So
to me, it doesn't make sense to change it.

I guess what I am saying is, I would like it if someone could explain the
benefit of udev vs. the old method.  I am not trying to be argumentative -
this is a legitimate request for knowledge.

> Just my 2 Cents.
>
> > Now having said that, I am not a programmer so I am not sure how much
> > work
> > it has been to keep all of those special files.
> >
> > Thomas
>
> Grets

I'm sorry, what is "Grets?"

Thomas